Full Time Police Officer
Functional Title: Full Time Police Officer
Organization: Lubbock Christian University
Department: Student Affairs – The mission of Student Affairs is to provide services and intentional learning opportunities which foster community through personal and spiritual growth.
Purpose of Position
Protect life, individuals, campus buildings and/or property within the university campus by enforcing all State laws and university policies or guidelines, thereby providing a conductive environment for learning and changing lives. Works under minimal supervision with reasonable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Patrols university property on foot or in a departmental vehicle to prevent, discover, and deter the commission of crimes, to enforce criminal laws, to direct traffic as needed, and to enforce motor vehicle operation and parking regulations.
- Responds to and investigates all calls and complaints involving fires, automobile accidents, domestic disturbances, assaults, robberies and other misdemeanors and felonies.
- Writes detailed reports on all police-related activities.
- Interviews persons with complaints and makes proper disposition or directs them to the appropriate authority.
- Secures crimes scenes, arbitrates disputes, conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations, gathers evidence, obtains witness statements, apprehends suspects, makes arrests and transports offenders.
- Provides general information to inquiries from the public.
- Testifies as a witness in court in connection with traffic citations, arrests and investigations.
- Attends or completes annual state-mandated training classes as well as other pertinent training in police methods, first aid, firearms and related subjects.
- Keeps informed and aware of persons and places suspected of illegal activity and/or the potential for problems within an assigned area.
- Responsible for decisions as to the appropriate action necessary in accordance with police department standards and operating procedures and state and federal laws.
- Uses and properly cares for firearms, police vehicles and all other related police equipment.
- Provides information and services to visitors, students and employees of the university.
- Assists motorists who have been locked out of their vehicles or motorists whose vehicles will not start and their battery needs jumped.
- Must be willing to work and adapt to shift work. May be assigned to work days, evenings or nights, as needed.
- Protection of life and property on the campus and other properties of Lubbock Christian University and certain other extended jurisdictional areas, providing for the overall safety of persons and the protection of University and personal property.
- Enforcement of all local, State and federal laws on the LCU campus, other LCU properties and other defined jurisdiction areas. Enforcement of all applicable university rules and regulations concerning parking and other university regulations on the LCU campus.
- Providing other safety and security services to LCU faculty, staff and visitors as needed.
- Raise and lower flags in front of the Cardwell Welcome Center.
- Maintain regular communication with supervisor and other campus officials as required.
- Assist Public Safety Officers with their duties and at times, perform those duties in the absence of a Public Safety Officer.
- If necessary, appear in court regarding incidents that occur on university property.
- Observe and report faulty and/or unsafe utility equipment, including report of fire and other safety precautions when necessary.
- This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties.
- Perform other work-related duties as requested by the Chief of Police
- Assists in planning and conducts safety training programs for Residence Life.
2. Assists with the Department's recruiting, selection process, and training for new officers (sworn & non-sworn.
- May fill in or serve as “on call” during the Chief’s absence
- Serves as the department investigator and will conduct follow-up investigations of criminal
cases as needed/required and background investigations as assigned by the chief
- Arranges and supervises special event security.
- Conduct safety training for all staff, faculty, and students as assigned by the Chief.
- This job description shall include but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties.
Expanded Essential Function
Other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
A. Protection of life and property.
- Patrol of all LCU campus and properties. Patrol may include foot patrol & vehicle patrol
- Respond to all emergency calls for service on LCU campus.
- Investigate all suspicious activity reported or observed on LCU campus.
- Patrol and monitoring of all campus buildings and facilities, locking/unlocking as scheduled.
- Work closely with Student Affairs, Recreation Life and Residence Life personnel regarding security and personal safety needs for all members of the LCU community residing on LCU campus in LCU housing.
- Maintain relationships with LPD and LSO officers assigned to the LCU patrol area and events communicating information as needed between other agencies & LCUPD.
B. Enforcement of all laws and university policies/regulations on LCU campus and properties.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all applicable local, State and federal traffic and penal laws, fairly applying and enforcing them within the LCU jurisdiction.
- Monitor all LCU parking lots for violations of university parking regulations and issue applicable citations to violators and vehicles.
C. Conduct initial on-scene investigations and filing of proper reports.
- Respond to all calls for service within university jurisdiction or as requested by outside law enforcement agencies.
- Assess situations, determining offense if any, conducting initial interview with victims, suspects and witnesses as applicable.
- Notify other emergency response personnel as needed. Assist other law enforcement agency or other emergency response personnel as required or requested when incidents occur adjacent to university police jurisdiction.
- Complete and file proper reports and forms as required by departmental policy and/or law.
D. Providing other safety and security services to LCU faculty, staff and visitors as needed.
- Provide safety/security escorts of individuals on campus when requested.
- Assist members of LCU community with vehicle jumpstarts on LCU campus when requested.
- Assist with unscheduled unlocks of buildings /offices as requested by LCU faculty or staff.
- Maintain a service-oriented attitude at all time.
- High School Diploma or GED certificate. (Preferred 30 college hours from an accredited college or university.
- Current Texas Peace Officer TCOLE license certification with a minimum Basic Certification with 1 year of continuous full time law enforcement experience (2 years preferred).
- Valid and non-suspended or inactive Texas Driver’s License, eligible to be an approved and insured driver for Lubbock Christian University
- Because of LCU’s affiliation with the churches of Christ, this employee must be a professing Christian willing to support the Christian mission and purpose of the university while employed by LCU.
- Must not be on court ordered community supervision or probation for any criminal offense above the grade of Class C Misdemeanor, must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor offense above the grade of Class C within the last five years.
- Must never have been convicted at any time of a felony offense.
- Must not have used illegal drugs in the last five years.
- Must have a good driving record, with no more than three moving violations in the last three years.
- Must never have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as defined by the Federal Gun Control Act.
- Must have never been convicted for DUI/DWI.
- Must have the ability to work well without direct supervision.
- Must have the ability to interact well with all students, faculty, staff and visitors of LCU, maintaining a positive, service oriented attitude in all types of circumstances and contacts.
- Must have a high level of personal integrity and confidentiality due to working with and access to sensitive information pertaining to criminal and university investigations.
- Must have adaptability and resourcefulness in handling unanticipated scheduling changes and other unusual circumstances typical of law enforcement duties
Requirements: These are the minimal skills needed to succeed at this job.
- Personal communication skills, verbal, written and social.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to communicate through email
- Basic telephone skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and specifically the ability to positively and professionally interact with people in enforcement situations, which often create stressful or negative encounters with people.
- Possess a positive customer service attitude toward students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Basic computer knowledge and ability to communicate through email.
- Possess and demonstrate the ability to think clearly and make prudent, reasonable decisions under calm or stressful conditions.
- Possess and demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate good personal and work ethic.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and privacy concerning knowledge of student issues.
- Be on time and willing to work assigned schedule, which may require nights, evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Not discuss information about university plans or goals unless authorized by the Chief of Police/Director of Public Safety
B. Training Modules Required
- Complete annual training hours as required by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) for annual validation of Texas Peace Officer License.
- Annual firearms training and qualification scores as mandated by TCOLE and Departmental policy.
These are physical demands that are regularly required to perform this job.
- Must be able to perform basic physical skills such as walking and the ability to stand for extended time periods and in all types of weather conditions, day or night.
- Must be able to lift and carry loads such as traffic cones, barricades, items of evidence, office supplies and perform other minor physical labor related to providing services such as vehicle jump starts.
- Must be able to use physical force as necessary to execute arrests, restrain individuals as needed in performance of duties and perform other essential job duties.
- Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
The Police Officer is directly supervised by the Chief of Police/Director of Public Safety.
Location/Region: Lubbock, TX (79407)